The Historic Fernwood Inn
The Fernwood Inn is a turn-of-the-century estate built in the hills above Milwaukie. It sits majestic and serene above the curves of the Willamette, looking all the way down to the Portland skyline. The mansion itself is three stories of stone and plaster filled with chandeliers, Persian rugs, roaring fireplaces, and always, always fresh flowers on every table.
Story has it that construction began in 1921 by G.L. Shearer, a lumber baron, who wanted an estate that looked over industry on the Willamette. But work was halted with the stock market crash in 1929 until it was purchashed and completed by Earl McInnes, manager of the Multnomah Hotel, in 1941. The estate was then renamed Fernwood Manor. The manor changed hands several times over the years, eventually being picked up by two restauranteurs in 1974, who renamed it the “Fernwood Inn.”
The Fernwood Inn lived many prestigious years. The rich and prestigious would populate the building for lavish feasts. It entertained a host of world class chefs and servers. A movie was even filmed on location.
However, by 1994, the beautiful building had fallen into disrepair. It was purchased by Kristina Poppemeier, who quickly fell in love with the building and oversaw renovations. Kristina, an Austrian native and owner of the prestigious Amadeus Restaurant in Lake Oswego, decided to give the building a new and fitting name, Amadeus Manor.
The newest custodians of this historic estate are paying homage to the long and illustrious career by respecting the many pieces of history the building represents.